Saturday, October 14, 2006

Short glimpse of Saigon

This morning there's no chance either for a nice breakfast at the back veranda. It was raining..
Strange enough, it stopped at 9.30 as the day before..

Anyway, it's the last day in Hoi An, so after the rain i just took a bike and wandered to the market and had a rice porridge with pork ribs (7000D). Yummmy.....
The best food I've eaten so far in Vietnam..

There's nothing else to do so I wandered along the streets again, stopped by here and there but didn't find anything to buy. At 2 pm, I took the taxi to the airport in Da Nang as Hoi An doesn't have an airport. The flight to HCMC is 1.10', by Pacific Airlines, which is not a bad airline, ontime!.. In the plane I noticed that the aircraft was once used by Lion Airlines from the life jacket demonstrated. Turning my head left and right I saw indonesian writings along with english and vietnamese...

Saigon, they say, was more chaotic than Ha Noi. This might be true, but sure thing is that Saigon (HCMC) is twice the size of Ha Noi. Yes, the same, motobikes everywhere!!!!... From the airport to the downtown (Pham Ngu Lau area, backpackers area) I took a taxi and shared with Rudy, a Dannish guy who is travelling for 4 months now (those scandinavians!!!)... I stayed in Ha Vy hotel, booked from the hotel in Hoi An, a single room, clean, standard with A/C and bathroom, US$10/night. OK lah...
Anyway, I also booked a trip for tomorrow to go to Phnom Penh with boat via the Mekong Delta.

The night life in Saigon actually quite live! A friend of mine took me to a cafe downtown in a modern building, which I had a light culture shock, having been travelling all this time in small, antique city, and now, all of sudden, metropolitan!.. hahahhahah..
But then there's where that sad end was. All bars, clubs, discos must be closed by midnight. Actually my friend took me to a club and at 23.30 all of sudden the music stopped, light turned off and police showing up everywhere.. hmmm disappointed faces everywhere, although they knew this would've happened...

So I went back to the hotel, sleep and preparing for my trip to Phnom Penh via the Mekong Delta.....................

No comments: