Friday, October 20, 2006

Angkor Whaaaaat???????????

The boat trip from Battambang was a pleasant one. Taking 6 hours, we arrived at the pier around 1.30 and was immediately attacked by moto and tuk tuk drivers who literally jump inside the boat and offering their service. I finally got one and went to the hotel which he insisted. I didn't have any hotel actually, so I just went with him, if you dont like it just ask him to take you to another one. He took me to 3 hotels.....
He give the transport free as I also agreed to his service to take me to the temples of Angkor the next day. After bargaining (hard), we agreed on US$13 for the whole day. Later I found out that the rate varies from $9-11..

The one day pass is 20dollars and it's valid for 24 hours. There's a three days pass, 40 dollars.
It's a vast complex of temples actually, which was built during the period from 8-11 A.D., with hinduism style (imagine Prambanan style) though some used as buddhist temples.

There are many ways of visiting, from cars, motobikes, tuk tuk, and actually biking is a very nice way to visit the Angkor temples IF you have the time.

That's one thing that I didn't have. Well, actually I had a motobike driver that drove me there in the morning. But some times before noon my digicam battery was out and so was the spare.. Hmm no chance, had to go back to hotel, charge it and come back around 2 pm. But instead of going with the motobike, I was really curious about the biking thing. So, there I went at 3 pm and try to take some pictures I missed during the day.
Now, it's 6 km from Siem Reap to the temples complex and following a little plan, there were 17km altogether, covering Angkor Watt, Bayon, and the Ta Phrom, before circling back to Angkor Wat. It was already 6 pm when I got out of the Ta Phrom (THE temple which was used as the setting for Tomb Raider).

So, it was almost dark, the road was ok though but on the left and right side : Trees and darkness. After 15 minutes pedalling, it was completely dark. Thank God I wasn't alone, but there sometimes other motorbike passing, or coming from the other side, sometimes another biker from the opposite direction.
I could felt the bugs flying and hitting my face as I rushed as fast as I could to at least reach the Angkor Wat complex..

I made it finally, arriving in hotel at 7 pm, with numb butt.......

No comments: