Wednesday, October 18, 2006

And the journey continues....

OK now,
today in Battambang (spelled Battembong), just arrived like an hour ago. A not too big city. Just transiting anyway before taking the boat tomorrow morning to Siem Reap...

I think, the 2 day I spent in Phnom Penh were enough, as I have done all the walking around city (from 9.30 - 15.00ca).. Felt like broken legs! hahahahhahaha...
The day started with a visit to the Genocide Museum just in front of the Boddhi Tree (a very nice place to hang out, staff are very friendly. They even shared the story about: local girl 10.000riel, vietnam 5dollars!!!).

Anyway, The museum is, well, very depressing.... It's a building (used to be a school, but then changed to a prison) where the Pol Pot regime tortured and imprisoned almost 20.000 cambodian, men, women, children, babies before eliminating them, between 1975-1979). To take a peek: http://www.tuolsleng.com/
The local said that Pol Pot killed all people who were smart, educated in order to have an absolute control of the country.

As normally a school building, there aare (class) rooms, and inside each room are boards with pictures of faces of the people imprisoned with their eyes just looked right into you. At the entrance of the wall were signed "no laughing". How could you laugh? It's too depressing. Some were painting on how the regime tortured and murdered the people in the Killing Field. Actually I wanted to go to the Killing Field museum, but after this visit to the school, I changed my mind. It'd be just too depressing........
Although I might look for the dvd in Jakarta of the american movie the killing field....

Then I took a walk to the Palace, the Silver Pagoda. Actually it's called silver pagoda because the floor temple was covered with pure silver, while local people call it the Emerald Buddha Pagoda as it houses an emerald buddha (not too big), and a standing buddha covered in gold and thousands of diamonds......!!!!!!
Too bad it's forbidden to take photographs in the temple...

Well, Cambodia in general looks very much like Indonesia 10 years ago... the people, on the contrary, looks 100% like indonesians! except that they speaks another language :-).. some words are similar though, Psar is pasar in indonesian, bobor is bubur.

This morning, my clothes that I left to laundry yesterday morning were still half wet. I couldn't do anything since they delivered it at 7.30 this morning. So, how my balcony in the hotel has my clothes hanging hahahha.. FOr this balcony, A/C and hot water, it's US$12/night...

No comments: