Monday, October 09, 2006

5 hours walk around Hanoi

Oct 09.2006

After arriving in the hotel yesterday afternoon, I just took a short rest and headed out once more to see something.
Well, nothing much interesting though.. Went to try the cha ca, fish with noodle. It's Hanoi's specialities. but it was too oily for me, couldn't say I liked it...

This morning instead I have one whole day before 5 pm since the train to Hue is departing at 7 pm sharp.
Well, at 10 I took of, had some chicken porridge by the street. Wonderful, delicious!!!

From there, I went and walked to the Literature Temple, 3km from the Hostel.

The literature temple as quoted in Lonely Planet "Hanoi's peaceful Van Mieu (Temple of Literature) was dedicated to Confucius in 1070 by Emperor Ly Thanh Tong, and later established as an University for the education of mandarins..... In 1484, Emperor Le Thang Tong ordered the establishment of stelae honouring the men who received doctorates in the triennial examinations dating back to 1442. Each of the 82 stelae that stands here is set on a stone tortoise."



I was rather relaxing though in the place. Not really a historical person into temples, musem, history. But it's a nice place, beautifully and well preserved. Wish jakarta has this kind of place too.........


I even saw a show of vietnamese girls dressed in traditional outfit, they were singing vietnamese folk songs I think but it was just beautiful..

Anyway then it rained, so I just sit and waited for the rain to stop....


After that I headed to get myself something to eat. By the street I saw this lady selling noodles. She also looked at me and big smile showing in her face, with an "inviting" eyes language. I was temptated. hahhahah i took a place and just nodded, smile, pointing this and that and smile again hahahhahaha.. All the time she kept talking vietnamese... There were also 2 guests eating and they were all smiling, laughing, on me I think.
It turned out to be the best noodle I've ever eaten in Hanoi... 12.000 dong which is around 6500 rupiah.


After that, I went to the Hoan Kiem Lake, just to pass time and how see things going.. It was already near 4 pm and the weather was really friendly, windy afternoon breeze.. very nice. Everyone sitting by the lake in the chair, talking with friends, with lovers or even alone. And it was enjoyable sitting there...

On my way back to the Hostel, stopped by some places just to sit.. There's one cafe by the lake which is just Gooooooood...... With vietnam coffee, enjoying the wind blowing your face...
At 7pm, the train departed to Hue. It was the Reunification Express train Actually there are buses, planes to go to Hue, but I can't just resist the train. It was a night train with sleepers. I opted for the soft sleepers one, shared the cabin with 3 other young hanoian on business trip to Danang. It was OK, I managed to sleep in spite of all the loud laughing from the australians in the cabin next door..

No comments: