Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Midah, si Manis bergigi Emas

Quite some times ago, me and collegues from office were talking during one coffee-break in the office, and we arrived to the topic of "literature".. One friend looked at me, shocked, when she found out that I never read any of Pramudya Ananta Toer work. Well, in fact, like many other indonesian raised in the indonesian education system, I don't and she has, on which he mentioned, the only indonesian writers ever candidated for Nobel Prize.

Well, OK.
Out of curiosity, and embarassment as well, I bought a thin novel of his. Midah si Manis Bergigi emas. Midah, the golden toothed beauty (mm.. sounds like a tittle for a kungfu movies). Of course I bought the original written in indonesian language. My first Pramudya novel.

On the ferry to singapore, only then I began to read the novel.
I'm not a literature critics, nor would I pretend to be one, but the novel is real beauty. On some chapters I even had tears forming in my eyes and pain in my heart.
The story was quite sad, but he told it in a very interesting, light way.

I dont know what else to share, I'm a terrible story re-teller but I do really encourage all dear friends to begin reading them.

No comments: